Thursday, February 10, 2011

Memoirs of Kuala

It would be too odd to reflect on something that happened almost four years ago, and even more bizarre to do diary-reflection on it, but I have to be honest and tell you that I remember it so well like it was yesterday...

It was the 10th of October in 2007 when I arrived at KLIA Airport on that hot, humid, and quite honestly... disgustingly damp rainy day. I'll be honest, I wasn't too impressed, and you couldn't blame me, having lived most of my life in white-capped snowy Montreal, being Mount Royal, up in Canada, coming down here was quite a turn.
Nonetheless, I did take a taxi and went to my cousin's place who was eagerly waiting for me to arrive so we could start a new business here. You'll be surprised that I simply had NO intention, whatsoever, to continue my studies and all that followed was purely either accidental or you could say.. well destiny.

Still, it took me a couple of days to wear off this jet lag that you always get when you travel far and I was anything but an exception. However, my cousin, on father side that is, was quite welcoming and comfortingly kind, to be fair, and did almost anything he could imagine to convince me Malaysia is the place to stay, and guess what? he did succeed... and I did stay, four years on. Anyways, it was quite interesting that in a matter of a couple of weeks, the knocked off me was back on his feet, not only being admitted for the PhD Program at UM but also we were cruising to launch our very own business here in Kuala Lumpur.

It was, I could say quite boldly and bravely, the most fruitful days of my life, and although I eventually left the business and my cousin carried on, I was able to do so much more and achieve so far, I could not have imagined a couple of months earlier when I was back home in Iran struggling with a million, and I mean a million issues that I would never.. ever... never want to talk about. It was a hand of heaven that got me in the final hours of my despair and it was a new beginning for me, a very bizarre, yet hopeful beginning.

Now that I look back, I realize I owe my cousin big time for being there when I needed him the most and although back home in Iran, we never got the chance to know each other well, being on the father side, I feel proud knowing I have had and still have a cousin, a friend who gave me a second chance at life, and in a far, far away country like Malaysia, I was able to find friendship.

Now, you can tell me about your first few days in Kuala Lumpur and how terrible or how exciting those days were for you??? You can post your reflections in the comment box below. Cheers!

10 comments:

  1. nice story!anyway i want to say thank you for your amazing class!you have been giving us more encourege and more interesting to study english since level9!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mr Manzour,
    I have already been read your perfect Article,It was very nice of your writing.As I am came to Erican school until now, I want to express my appreciation to your unique methods teaching,and you have always explaining the most difficult questions and problems in the difference way,that will be easy us to understand and rememberd. And you kindness share your writting would be help and towards all the students learning improve more.To me, I hope will received more advice form you that is my pleasure. I would be improve more and more.
    Happy Valentines day!
    Connie Level 9B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting memory and perfect writing! I think I can never write an article like this :(
    Dear Mr Manzour,
    thank you for your delightful class.We can learn English in a very comradely ambience in your classes.Your methods of teaching are really different and amazing.Actually,I have had more beautiful feeling about learning English since level 9!I hope we can be good students for you.
    Maryam Level 9.Erican

    ReplyDelete
  5. my dear teacher
    your memory was so interesting and attractive,I hope i be able to write like you a day!
    I want to thank you for your excellent classes,your wonderful teaching method and specially for your usual likable smile.
    Dear mr Manzour when you say your commen sentence(do you have a lovely day today?),you give all the student new and double energy every day.
    Overall,you have been encourage us to learning more and better since first day of level 9,I am sure we will improve at the end of this level so much.
    In the hope that we see more writing of yoy in this page

    ReplyDelete
  6. my dear teacher
    your memory was so interesting and attractive,I hope i be able to write like you a day!
    I want to thank you for your excellent classes,your wonderful teaching method and specially for your usual likable smile.
    Dear mr Manzour when you say your commen sentence(do you have a lovely day today?),you give all the student new and double energy every day.
    Overall,you have been encouraging us to learning more and better since first day of level 9,I am sure we will improve at the end of this level so much.
    In the hope that we see more writing of you in this page
    pegah level 9.erican
    :)))))double correct;)))))
    February 14, 2011 11:04 PM

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mr Manzour:
    It was a very nice story.I admire your
    appreciative character and I'm happy you
    have such a helpful relative here.
    I wish that I could enjoy my stay in
    Kuala Lumpur same as you!!!

    Mina Vaziri,Erican,level 9

    ReplyDelete
  9. our coffee, red bull.... you give us energy every day. with you we don t need anything to understand everything! just say you re the best teatcher i ve never had! i had many good teatchers but in our life each things have a level! i don t know if my writting is good but i hope you understand what i want to say!
    tatiana!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Participate in our online documentary gathering Iran election protest testimonies

    ReplyDelete